LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Our Lady of Guadalupe


category : Historic Churches
Our Lady of Guadalupe The first Catholic Church building in Queen Creek was constructed in 1960 when the congregation acquired a barracks building from the base, and moved it to this site.

It's the two narrow stained glass windows that may first attract your attention as you pass by the weathered building across from Our Lady of Guadalupe. Even though obscured by afternoon shadows, their beauty entices a second look.

Mexican-Americans have played a vital role in the development of the San Tan area. These honest and hard-working families have contributed significantly to the rich heritage of the communities. We're told that many were isolated by language, cultural and occupational barriers. Many were living in substandard housing and found the customs bewildering. But it was the families and farm laborers that moved to the Queen Creek area in the late 1920s and early 1930s that began, with the help and guidance of Father O'Hern, to organize the first Catholic congregation in the late 1940s.

By the early 1950s, the school district had acquired several wooden barracks from Williams Air Force Base for use as classrooms, the cafeteria and an auditorium. The auditorium doubled as a facility for mass and for the visiting priest to hear confessions. Nuns would also teach catechism classes, usually during the summer.

Although the congregation appreciated the use of the school building, they looked forward to a time when they could worship in their own church. So in 1960, the members started raising money for a building fund by selling homemade items, such as baked goods. Father Patterson of Chandler helped with the purchase of property, and Father O'Hern of Gilbert helped them acquire a barracks building from the base. It was moved to the site on the north side of Ocotillo Road, 3/8 mile west of Ellsworth, and still stands today as a humble reminder of our history.

By 1975, the building was deemed unsafe, and the insurance company refused to renew the policy. New fund raising efforts were started, many under the leadership of Lupe Coronado. In 1988, land was purchased across the street for Our Lady of Guadalupe Church.


Address: Ocotillo Rd just west of Ellsworth Rd

Come visit us in Queen Creek, Arizona

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Our Lady of Guadalupe

The first Catholic Church building in Queen Creek was constructed in 1960 when the congregation acquired a barracks building from the base, and moved it to this site. It'

Queen Creek, AZ Historic Churches

Queen Creek Performing Arts Center

The Queen Creek Performing Arts Center (QCPAC) calls itself the "Best Kept Performing Arts Secret in Arizona." The QCPAC's goal is to produce exciting, high-quality shows at an affordable price.

Queen Creek, AZ Performing Arts Centers

Community Church

The first Church in Rittenhouse was constructed in 1921 on the east side of Ellsworth Road, just north of the railroad tracks, in the community we all now know as Queen Creek. Although the Historical Society's records don'

Queen Creek, AZ Historic Churches

Desert Wells Stage Stop

The Desert Wells Stage Stop is reported to have been a small spur stop for the Arizona Stage Company, founded in 1868

Queen Creek, AZ Pioneer Life

Chandler Heights Trading Post and Post Office

During the 1930s, Chandler Heights was a bustling little community. Stretching seven miles along the Hunt Highway at the base of the San Tan Mountains, it offered perfect soil for citrus trees, a mostly mild climate, methods of crop irrigation and beautiful views.

Queen Creek, AZ Historic Post Offices

Things to do Historic Churches near Queen Creek, AZ