Occupied from 1770 to about 1810 or later, the Pike-Pawnee National Historic Landmark has been the subject of intense historical and archeological research. The site was named after Lt. Zebulon Pike who passed through the village of Pawnee in 1806 and lowered the last Spanish flag to fly over the Louisiana Purchase. It encompasses nearly 300 acres of Republican River terrace, bluffs, and draws. In addition to the village area of 100 lodge sites, five cemeteries, two hoop game "courts", and a council site comprise the complex. Artifacts of both native and European origin are common.
Address: N side of the Republican River on NE Highway 78 - Guide Rock Vicinity
Come visit us in Red Cloud, Nebraska