LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Post Office Oak and Museum


category : Landmarks
Post Office Oak and Museum This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847. Passing caravans could leave messages for future travelers in a cache in the base of the tree. A stone building erected in 1864 next to the tree houses a museum, operated by the Morris County Historical Society. Open Sunday afternoons in summer and by appointment.


Address: East Main Street

Come visit us in Council Grove, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Stone Barn

This imposing, 76-foot-long native stone barn was built into the bank of a hill in 1871 on land owned by the town's founder, Seth Hays. It's the only structure remaining from the Morris County Poor Farm, which existed here from 1889-1945.

Council Grove, KS Historic Barns

Seth Hays Home

The town founder, Seth Hays, built this home in 1867. His slave, Aunt Sally, lived in the basement and cared for Hays and his adopted daughter, Kittie Robbins, until her death in 1872. Hays died a year later, February 3, 1873

Council Grove, KS Museums

Council Oak

A shelter east of the Neosho River bridge protects the stump of the Council Oak. Gathered in the shade of the big oak on a hot August day in 1825

Council Grove, KS Landmarks

Hays House

Town founder Seth Hays, a grandson of Daniel Boone and cousin of Kit Carson, opened the Hays House in 1857. Over the years, the Hays House was a gathering place for church services, court trials, bawdy theatricals and politicians\'

Council Grove, KS Restaurants

Post Office Oak and Museum

This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847. Passing caravans could leave messages for future travelers in a cache in the base of the tree. A stone building erected in 1864

Council Grove, KS Landmarks

Things to do Landmarks near Council Grove, KS