LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Rogers State University


category : Colleges
Rogers State University When Oklahoma was granted statehood, the first legislature established Eastern University Preparatory School, which opened on College Hill in Claremore in 1909. This school was to prepare Indian students for the University of Oklahoma. The only building on campus was Preparatory Hall. This domed structure was completed in 1911, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1919, the Oklahoma Legislature eliminated EUPS, and in its place established OklahomaMilitary Museum
Military Academy, hailed as the "West Point of the Southwest".The first 40 students lived in tents during the fall and winter of 1919 - 1920 until Meyer Hall could be built. This building, also listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with the large columns in front was named for Maurice Meyer, the first Oklahoman killed in action in the First World War. On the second floor is the Oklahoma Military Academy Museum which is open to the general public. Currently, the museum is open the same hours as the campus offices but it is available for special tours or functions. In 1971, in response to the growing educational needs of a rapidly developing technological and industrial economy, OMA was replaced with Claremore Junior College which further evolved into the institution it is today.


Phone: 918-343-7546
Our Website:www.rogersu.edu/

Come visit us in Claremore, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Will Rogers Statue

In the middle of the 300 block of Will Rogers Blvd., you will want to stop, grab your camera and visit the life-size bronze statue of Will Rogers, sitting on a park bench reading the Claremore Progress. The Rogers County Historical Society presented this statue, "

Claremore, OK Arts

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Andy Payne and Route 66

Nine miles north of Claremore on Route 66 is Foyil, the hometown of ANDY PAYNE, a Cherokee Indian who was born on a ranch between Claremore and Foyil. At "66" and 28A, turn south, and you will be on the main street of Foyil and a portion of the original Route "66"

Claremore, OK Famous People

Will Rogers Center

The WILL ROGERS HOTEL, listed on the National Register of Historic Places was dedicated in 1930. The fireproof structure of concrete and steel originally contained 78 rooms and 7 apartments. During World War II, it was designated as a bomb shelter. Mineral water baths called "radium water"

Claremore, OK Historic Hotels

Things to do Colleges near Claremore, OK