LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Territorial Capitol


category : Historic Buildings
Territorial Capitol In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas" as the struggle to determine if Kansas would enter the Union a free or slave state raged across the newly formed territory. Fraudulently elected legislators from the border area of Missouri met here briefly and quickly voted to move the Capitol closer to home in the Kansas City area.

"This building was erected in 1855 in the now extinct town of Pawnee for the State Legislature of the territory of Kansas. The members were mostly Missourians fraudulently elected in an effort to make Kansas a slave state. They came in wagons and on horseback, well armed, and camped out on the prairie. The session lasted from July 2 to 6. The Missourians were determined to legislate nearer home and passed a bill to move to Shawnee Methodist Mission near Kansas City. Governor Reeder vetoed the bill. It was passed over his veto and this ended the session here. All other acts, including the so-called Bogus Laws, were passed at Shawnee Mission. This building stood in partial ruin until its restoration in 1928 by the Union Pacific railroad."

- Kansas Historical Society


Hours: Thursday - Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Address: Bldg. #693, K-18 (East Huebner Road)
Phone: 785-784-5535
Operated by the Kansas State Historical Society and Partners of the First Territorial Capitol

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Wounded Knee Monument

This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

Fort Riley, KS Monuments

Trolley Station

The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Statue of "Old Trooper Bill"

The Old Trooper has become a symbol at Fort Riley of the proud heritage of the Horse Cavalry. It is modeled after the drawing of "Old Bill," the cavalry soldier drawn by famous western artist, Frederic Remington. This sketch is displayed in the Cavalry Museum'

Fort Riley, KS Memorials

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Riley, KS

The American Legion Building

This brick building was built in 1936 as a memorial to the soldiers and sailors of Wabaunsee County. Currently it houses the ...

Lindley M. Harris House

This house was built in 1898, and features an asymmetrical front facade, spindlework and multiple shingle styles in addition ...