LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Territorial Capitol


category : Historic Buildings
Territorial Capitol In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas" as the struggle to determine if Kansas would enter the Union a free or slave state raged across the newly formed territory. Fraudulently elected legislators from the border area of Missouri met here briefly and quickly voted to move the Capitol closer to home in the Kansas City area.

"This building was erected in 1855 in the now extinct town of Pawnee for the State Legislature of the territory of Kansas. The members were mostly Missourians fraudulently elected in an effort to make Kansas a slave state. They came in wagons and on horseback, well armed, and camped out on the prairie. The session lasted from July 2 to 6. The Missourians were determined to legislate nearer home and passed a bill to move to Shawnee Methodist Mission near Kansas City. Governor Reeder vetoed the bill. It was passed over his veto and this ended the session here. All other acts, including the so-called Bogus Laws, were passed at Shawnee Mission. This building stood in partial ruin until its restoration in 1928 by the Union Pacific railroad."

- Kansas Historical Society


Hours: Thursday - Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Address: Bldg. #693, K-18 (East Huebner Road)
Phone: 785-784-5535
Operated by the Kansas State Historical Society and Partners of the First Territorial Capitol

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Trolley Station

The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

U. S. Cavalry Museum

The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Riley, KS