The Tioga was built in 1929 by J.W. Pratt and was leased by the Boss Hotel Chain for most of its life. Designed in the Art Deco style, it features gargoyles on each corner. It was one of the state's first fireproof hotels and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. All floors, exterior walls, and roof are reinforced concrete or masonry. The iron railing for the staircase in the Tioga was made by L. E. Stump, a Chanute blacksmith.
By 2001, the building housed people in at least 45 apartments and operated as a profitable assisted living center when it was closed requiring handicap accommodations. The building was purchased in 2002 and extensive remodeling was done on all but two floors when it was sold again to a private individual who completed the rennovation and opened the Tioga Suites in 2004 featuring fine dining, luxury hotel suites, senior apartments, office and retail business space.
Address: 12 East Main Street
Phone: 620) 431-3343
Fax: 620) 431-3336
Come visit us in Chanute, Kansas