This house, a National Historic Register Landmark, was rented by William Allen White in 1899 and purchased by him in 1901. It was his home for 45 years. The two-and-a-half-story house features rough-hewn red sandstone ashlar on the first floor exterior walls with matching red brick stretchers; stucco and simulated half-timbers make up the second and attic levels. The red sandstone exterior gives the house its name, "Red Rocks".
Hours: The house is owned by the White Corporation, and is open for tours only by special arrangement.
Address: 927 Exchange (10th Ave. & Exchange St.)
Come visit us in Emporia, Kansas