LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Winchester Jail


category : Pioneer Life
Winchester Jail Built in 1909, this jail came from the town of Winchester, Kansas. Since it was not fireproof, it was never locked. It was a place for drunks and tramps to sleep. The jail was a meeting place for the city council, police court and voting.

The building, complete with the original iron fixtures, was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1977. A 300-piece collection of barbed wire, which belonged to the late John Woolfolk of McLouth, is on display.

The Winchester Star, Winchester, Kansas, Friday, October 1, 1909

"At last Winchester has a place in which disturbers of the peace may be thrown for safe keeping. A jail has been erected in the alley between the printing office and Evans' restaurant. We hope that none of our people will so far get out of the way that it will be necessary for them to occupy the place, but the way to keep out, is to be good."


Admission: Free will donation
Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 785-766-6342
Our Email: maggie2929@hotmail.com

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Jefferson Town, Museum, and Research Library

Old Jefferson Town is a collection of nine restored and furnished vintage buildings from different locations around Jefferson County. They are preserved as a historic town of early day settlements. The town was named because of Jefferson County being referred to as Ol' Jefferson.

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Nincehelser House

William J. Nincehelser moved to Jefferson County from Ohio about 1880, married Minnie Wendorff, and moved into this house in Oskaloosa. Mr. Nincehelser had a livery stable on the square and operated a

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Bowstring Bridge

Built in Cleveland, Ohio, the bowstring bridge was originally located across Rock Creek, north of Meridan, in 1875.

The 48-ft long, 14-ft wide bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990

Oskaloosa, KS National Register

Wellman Schoolhouse

The school was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles within the county and throughout the country. School Ditrict #70 was formed in 1871

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life


Things to do Pioneer Life near Oskaloosa, KS