From sprawling cattle ranches to curlicued Art Deco skyscrapers, Osage brush arbors to Route 66 diners, northeastern Oklahoma is where the American Dream met the American West. The area's Native American roots can be traced back to the prehistoric Spiro Mound Builders -- the story of the 12th century empire they built is told at Spiro Mounds Archaeological Park near Poteau. In the 19th Century, the Cherokee tribe built their capitol on the green banks of the Illinois River and Creek Indian councils met under a massive oak in "Tulsey Town." The Osage tribe moved from Kansas to Pawhuska, named for the Osage chief, on the border of the tall grass prairie; the tribe was confident the roots of the rich grass were so thick and deep the land would never be plowed by settlers. The discovery of vast seas of oil beneath the prairies changed the face of northeastern Oklahoma -- Tulsey Town became Tulsa, "Oil Capitol of the World," and nearby Bartlesville grew from a Delaware trading post to a cosmopolitan town boasting a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed skyscraper.
Explore Green Country
Camping facilities range from primitive to full hook up. Among the several Corps of Engineers campground areas are three Class A locations, two which are open year round. Group Shelters and Campgrounds are also available. New Mannford Ramp - Class Designation: A Phone: (918) 865-2096, OK Campgrounds
Several parks operated by the Corps of Engineers are located around Skiatook Lake and offer semi-modern hookups and primitive camping as well as boat launch areas making access to the lake a convenience for all visitors.
Tall Chief Cove - $18/night; Twin Points - $14/night; Bull Creek - $8/, OK Campgrounds
Although Vinita wasn't founded until 1871, there was a great number of settlers in the area before then. Not far from Vinita, Cabin Creek, was the site of two Civil War battles. The first battle fought in early July of 1863, crediting the Buffalo Soldiers resulted in a Union victory. In 1864Vinita, OK Battlesites
This structure was built in 1845 by James S. Pierce to house the Cherokee National Supreme Court. The supreme and district court both held sessions here for some time. The "Cherokee Advocate" was also printed in this building for several years after the original Advocate building burned. About 1875Tahlequah, OK Ethnic Heritage
The Stone Well House was built in the 1840's and is the oldest structure in the city and county. It was used as a water supply at the time for the Cherokee Indian Orphan Asylum. The Cherokee Indian Orphan Asylum was built in 1875 and was located where Salina's Old Gymnasium now stands.Salina, OK Pioneer History
The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.Claremore, OK Historic Courthouses
Lake Eufaula has been listed as seventh place overall as one of Oklahoma's Top 25 Bass Lakes. The average weight per bass on Lake Eufaula was 2.37 pounds with 76 percent of the anglers being successful. These results were based from more than 1000 bass fishing tournaments held during the year. <, OK Fishing
Adams Corner Rural Village is a detailed reconstruction of a small crossroads community of 1875 - 1890, in the final years of the old Cherokee Nation. The Heritage Farm exhibits livestock commonly found on Cherokee farms along with endangered domestic breeds.Tahlequah, OK Museums