LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Bristol-Kendall Fire Department Firehouse -Lyon Farm Museum Complex


category : Historic Buildings
Bristol-Kendall Fire Department Firehouse -Lyon Farm Museum Complex The village of Yorkville mentions a fire department in a note dated July 1877, directing 2 trustees to buy fire equipment. The fire house was built in 1888, 2 doors south of the library building on the east side of Bridge Street just south of Van Emmon Street. The village board soon began meeting in the building. The structure was moved in 1905 to the north side of Madison Street, across from the courthouse. Until a few years ago it was still used as the meeting place of the Yorkville city council.

City officials were considering demolishing the last fall, but the community and Kendall County Historical Society leaders rallied support and funds to have the landmark moved to the Lyon Farm. In 1996 the firehouse was moved to the Lyon Farm. The move was made possible by private donations and donations from community banks and fire department companies.


Hours: Open only during special events, or by appointment.
Address: 7935 Illinois Route 71
Phone: 630-553-6777
Our Email: lyonfarmkchs1@gmail.com
Our Website:www.lyonfarmkchs.org

Come visit us in Yorkville, Illinois

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Seward Town Hall - Lyon Farm Museum Complex

The Seward Town Hall was built in 1876 and 1877 at a cost of $500.00. It stood on the east bank of Au Sable Creek facing Route 52. In addition to serving as a town hall it was used as a Congregational Church, basketball hall and band practice site. It was moved to Lyon Farm in 1976

Yorkville, IL Museums

C.B. & Q Caboose -Lyon Farm Museum Complex

The Caboose was built in the Aurora, Illinois C.B. & Q (Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad) shops in 1918. It was used on the Fox River Line for 56 years. The Caboose was moved to Lyon Farm in 1974. 2018 marks the 100

Yorkville, IL Railroad History

Corrigan Store - Lyon Farm Museum Complex

William Corrigan established an independent store known as Corrigan & Sons which operated in Plattville, Illinois from 1919 until the late 1950's. The store carried a general merchandise line, including Oliver farm machinery and agricultural implements.

Yorkville, IL Museums

Plano Depot - Lyon Farm Museum Complex

The Plano Depot was built in Chicago, Illinois and hauled to Plano on flatcars in the 1850's. It was built by the C.B. & Q Railroad (Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad) in the Gothic Style architecture. The depot was used until 1914 or 1915

Yorkville, IL Railroad History


Things to do Historic Buildings near Yorkville, IL

Lena Water Tower

Built in 1896 and 100 years later, the Lena Water Tower was placed on the National Register of Historic Structures. Th...

Old Stockade on the Cobblestone Street

See and hear of Galena's earliest Indian trader and how his building served Galena since the mid-1820s, through the Blackhawk...

Community Building Complex of Boone County

Built in 1939, this building has been preserved, renovated and improved with modern handicapped restrooms, elevator, catering...