LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Burlington Depot


category : Museums
Burlington Depot

The Wahoo Burlington Depot, a two-story wood frame building on the Ashland-to-Schuyler line, was constructed in 1886, several months before the railroad's tracks were completed in 1887. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was originally owned by the Omaha and North Platte Railroad Company and was leased to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1886, then deeded to the C.B.&Q. in 1908.


It was the last depot constructed in Wahoo, joining the Northwestern and Union Pacific depots in providing service to this area of Saunders County. The depot's main floor plan, which provided separate waiting rooms for men and women, is a variation of a nationally used pattern called the "combination" design. The second level was used for agent's living quarters. Closed in 1972, the depot is owned by the Saunders County Historical Society and used as a museum.



Hours:

April thru October, Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Address: 240 N. Walnut (Highway 77 and 3rd Street) - 1 block South of the Courthouse
Phone: 402-443-3090

Come visit us in Wahoo, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Hanson House

This simplified Queen Anne dwelling was built about 1888 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is the childhood home of Dr. Howard Hanson from 1896-1917

Wahoo, NE National Register

Saunders County Courthouse

In the early1900s the old courthouse building became inadequate which led to the construction of a new building. In 1903 a vote was held for the issuing of bonds and the construction of a proper kind of building for county purposes. It passed by a vote of 1,967 to 524

Wahoo, NE Historic Courthouses

David Letterman Late Show

Wahoo is the Home Office of the Late Show with David Letterman.

To see Wahoo as part of the Late Show website, look for Wahoo at:

www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow//

Wahoo, NE One Of A Kinds

First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church was organized at Eldred, 12 miles northeast of Wahoo. Rev. Mr. Giddings was the preacher for both Eldred and Wahoo. The organizational meeting was headed by Rev. J.E. Heaton and took place on May 28, 1871. In 1880, a church was erected on the southeast corner of 5

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Wahoo Recreation Areas

The Wahoo Area Recreation Association operates a community recreation center (Civic Center) and senior center and has responsibility for maintaining the municipal outdoor pool and all Wahoo parks and

Wahoo, NE Recreation

Things to do Museums near Wahoo, NE