LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Commanding Officer's Quarters


category : Historic Buildings
Commanding Officer's Quarters The COQ was built as a residence for the Army officer commanding Fort Supply. He and his family lived in relative comfort in the ten rooms that included a servant's room and an attached bathroom. The yard was fenced and a boardwalk passed by the front and along "Officers' Row."

The COQ is a board-and-batten frame structure located on the north end of the "Row." Originally the "Row" was a series of picket-style cabins. The cabins were destroyed by fire in July 1877. This house was started in late 1878 but construction was halted due to a lack of funds. It was finished in 1879 and an addition of two bedrooms and a bath was completed by 1886. The building was pointed dark red with a light tan trim. The house rests on cedar pilings.

The superintendents of the mental hospital resided here for over forty years. There have been many additions and alterations to the house. It was last used as a duplex residence for hospital employees.

The COQ will be restored to its appearance of the late 1880s, including the picket fence and boardwalk.


Hours: Call for hours of operation
Address: U.S. Highway 270
Phone: 580-766-3767

Fort Supply Historic Site
P.O. Box 247
Fort Supply, OK 73841

Come visit us in Woodward, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The Woodward Arts Theatre and Cultural Centre

The beautifully renovated Woodward Arts Theatre and Cultural Centre has been restored to its original 1920s architectural splendor.

Woodward, OK Theatres


Centennial Park Memorials

Dedicated in 1987, the Memorial Wall commemorates those men and women since 1887 who tamed Northwest Oklahoma, survived its natural disasters, and preserved the land for all to enjoy. The memorial honors veterans of all wars and tornado victims, and also displays etched maps of the counties.

Woodward, OK Memorials

The Powder Monkey's House

Like the Teamster's Cabin, the powder monkey's house dates to about 1870 and is typical of the picket-style construction at early Fort Supply. Many of the picket buildings were later used for fire wood, but this and the Teamster's Cabin survived that fate.

Woodward, OK Historic Buildings

Guard House

The 1892 Guard House was the only brick building built during the military occupation of Fort Supply, and is today the museum and crown jewel among the five military structures.

Woodward, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Buildings near Woodward, OK