LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Dalton Cabin


category : Pioneer History
Dalton Cabin In 1889, the parents of the Dalton gang - Adaline Younger Dalton and James Lewis Dalton - planned to move to Oklahoma. Mr. Dalton died on the way, leaving Adaline with three young children to raise: Nancy, Leona, and Simon. An older, feeble-minded son named Charles Benjamin accompanied them.

They first lived in a dugout on the bank of Kingfisher Creek, a few miles north of Kingfisher. In 1892, Adaline or Ben exercised their homestead right and received land ten miles west of their original home. Ben lived on this farm, and Adaline remained on their original land.

In 1909 Adaline traded the improvements and leasing rights to this first farm and assumed a mortgage on land just north of the Gould Bridge, some seven miles east of Dover. Adaline and Simon moved to this location. Nannie and Eva May had already married, and Leona moved to Kingfisher about this time. This third homeplace for Mrs. Dalton is the one preserved on the grounds of the Chisholm Trail Museum.

Adaline lived here by herself until she moved to Kingfisher in 1919, where she lived with Leona until her death in 1925.

Leona made her living as a seamstress until her death in 1964. She was the last of the Dalton brothers and sisters to die. Today, seven Daltons are buried in the Kingfisher Cemetery, though only one, Emmet, was a member of the Dalton gang.

The Dalton Gang

The Dalton Brothers - Robert (Bob), Grafton (Graf), and Emmet Dalton - made a name for themselves in the west in only two short years. Their first robbery was in February, 1891, in Alila, California, and their last was in Coffeyville, Kansas, on October 5, 1892. In Coffeyville they tried to rob two banks at once, resulting in bob's and Graf's death. Emmet was severely wounded and later jailed. The three brothers never lived in this cabin.


Admission: $2 per person / Donations also accepted
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday -- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sunday & Monday (and legal holidays)
Address: 605 Zellers Ave.
Phone: 405-375-5176
Fax: 405-375-5176
Museum Complex - Directions: From U.S. Hwy. 81 in Kingfisher, five blocks west on Seay Ave., one block north to Zellers Avenue

Come visit us in Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Abraham Jefferson Seay

Born in Virginia on November 28, 1832

Kingfisher, OK Famous People

Land Office Building/ Post Office

This was the United States Land Office site for filing claims at the opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, and also at the opening of the Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J.C. Roberts was the first Register, and J.V. Admire, the first Receiver.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Buildings

Kingfisher Municipal Golf Course

The Kingfisher Municipal Golf Course is located less than 1 mile east of the city's center on Broadway. The 18

Kingfisher, OK Golf Courses

Gant School House

From the start the settlers of Oklahoma made provisions for eduction. The proceeds form sections six and thirty-six of each township were reserved for schools. There were country schools every three miles with names like Pleasant Valley, Good Hope, or in this case Gant.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Schoolhouses

Senator Bowman Home

Among the many sites of interests in and around Kingfisher, one is the Historical Home of Senator George and Edna Bowman. Mrs. Bowman, still residing in the home is always ready to share the history and story of their life in Kingfisher and in Oklahoma.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Homes

Things to do Pioneer History near Kingfisher, OK