LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Belva's Real Estate Florence Visitors Center

First Presbyterian Church of Florence


category : Historic Churches
First Presbyterian Church of Florence The First Presbyterian Church of Florence was the second oldest Presbyterian Church in Arizona. Established in November of 1888, the Reverend I.T. Whittemore came from Illinois and preached in a room of the first courthouse. Described by some as a dusty, dirty, unpaved, unimproved isolated typically rough western town, Florence boasted one saloon for every 40 inhabitants by 1888. Reverend Whittemore spent 12 years of service in this neglected vineyard of God, and the church moved from place to place. After occupying the room at the courthouse, the church moved to a building which still stands on the old grammar school grounds known in recent years as a youth center.

In May of 1931, with donated hard labor, a local mule team, locally made brick by George Smith, the present church was completed in Spanish Colonial Revival style, and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bell that rings today in the historic brick church on Butte Avenue was cast in New York State in 1889, and shipped to Florence by rail and wagon.


Address: 225 E. Butte Avenue

Come visit us in Florence, Arizona

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Coke Ovens in Box Canyon

The Historic Coke Ovens, otherwise known as charcoal kilns, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, were built in 1882 along the Gila River by the Pinal Consolidated Mining Company, and are so inaccessible that their preservation is easily understood.

Florence, AZ Historic Sites

First Presbyterian Church of Florence

The First Presbyterian Church of Florence was the second oldest Presbyterian Church in Arizona. Established in November of 1888

Florence, AZ Historic Churches

Jesus Martinez House

In 1888, Florence staged her most famous gunfight between ex-sheriff, Pete Gabriel and his former deputy, Joe Phy. The shooting started in the Tunnel Saloon and ended in the middle of Main Street. Gabriel survived; Phy died a few hours later. Also surviving the showdown was a 6 x 4

Florence, AZ Historic Homes

Nicholas Saloon

The earliest fired-brick building still standing in Florence and the town's second oldest brick structure, the second Nicholas Saloon and Beer Hall was built in 1889 for John Nicholas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

Florence Woman's Club

The Florence Woman's Club grew from the original Florence Village Improvement Club, organized in 1897 to improve and beautify the town of Florence. Members paid 25 cents a year to Mrs. T.F Weedin to keep the club's rake under her porch.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Churches near Florence, AZ