Browse at your leisure through the rooms of the two story Victorian farm house and reminisce about bygone days. Anne Marie Hansen Jamison donated the house to the City of Curtis in 1973 to be used as a museum. The house was built on the Hansen family homestead nine miles North of Curtis in 1910-1911. It was moved to its present location in Curtis in 1948.
Mrs. Jamison lived in the house and used it as an art studio. Items had been collected for the museum since 1887 when the Hansens came to America. There are many beautiful items from the past century including china, glassware, antique furniture, and historical items from old Keith's General Merchandise.
The One-room Schoolhouse was purchased by interested citizens of Curtis from District 976 in Lincoln County, Nebraska in 1966. The 14 x 18 foot frame building was last used as a school in 1948, and its contents are still intact, from the desks to the books, to the pot bellied stove used for heat on those cold winter days. The school sits east of the Hansen house.
The Carstensen Houseboat was a gift to the museum from Stanley and Mayme Dodson. It was used by the Carstensen family at the old Curtis Lake. The Summer Girl, as it was known, was pulled up on the shore and used as a storage shed for several years and has now been restored to its original shape by the Hansen Board and friends.
Hours: Open by Appointment - Tours Welcomed
Address: Prentiss & Fifth Street
308-367-4362, or 308-367-4297
Come visit us in Curtis, Nebraska