LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Historic Lecompton Democratic Headquarters


category : Museums
Historic Lecompton Democratic Headquarters This stone building was the headquarters of the Democratic Party during the Kansas Territorial period (1854-61). The cabin was used during a time when Lecompton, known as "The Birthplace of the Kansas Democratic Party," was the territorial capital and stood at the center of national attention. Within these walls ambitious and influential men gathered to discuss issues, plot strategies, and make decisions that helped to shape the destiny of Kansas politics and government.

Built in the 1850s by Italian stonemason Mark Migliario, this structure was attached to a log cabin that has since disappeared. It may have been the residence of William Simmons and his son Thomas. In 1853 the Simmons traveled from Indiana to this place where they "squatted" a year before Kansas Territory legally was open for settlement. The Simmons made their living on the Kaw River, where they fished and operated the Fairy Queen, a twenty-foot ferry made from hollowed-out sycamore logs.

Later this building's function changed from politics to commerce when it was acquired by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, which for many years used the building as a pay station.

In 1997 Pat and Aurelia Istas purchased the property and began a reclamation of the building and grounds. In 1998 the site was acquired by the Lecompton Historical Society. With the assistance of many generous individuals, businesses, and organizations, the Lecompton Historical Society has restored the building and established the Historic Lecompton River View Park.


Address: 609 E Woodson
Phone: 785-887-6285
Our Email: LaneMuseum@aol.com

Come visit us in Lecompton, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Walking Tour

1. Lecompton City Jail (1892) Used into the 1920's as a jail. It is now located on private property. 2. Constitution Hall (1856) One of the oldest wood-frame buildings in Kansas. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975. Dedicated as a museum in 1995. 3

Lecompton, KS Tours

Territorial Capitol Museum - Lane University

This building was started with an appropriation of $50,000 from the United States Congress to be the capitol of the State of Kansas. Later, it was finished as Lane University and was the site of the wedding of the parents of President Eisenhower.

Lecompton, KS Museums


Historic Lecompton Democratic Headquarters

This stone building was the headquarters of the Democratic Party during the Kansas Territorial period (1854-61). The cabin was used during a time when Lecompton, known as "The Birthplace of the Kansas Democratic Party,"

Lecompton, KS Museums

Constitution Hall State Historic Site

Constitution Hall is a National Landmark and Kansas Historic Site built in 1856

Lecompton, KS Historic Sites

Things to do Museums near Lecompton, KS

Truckhenge /Lessman Farm

We offer a little bit of everything - art, fishing, music events, etc. Many cities have zoos and parks. But, there is only o...

Western Jefferson County Museum

Located in the Denison State Bank. Contains artifacts pertaining to the western half of Jefferson County Kansas. ...