New excitement in trout fishing has been generated by stocking bigger fish, and rainbow trout between 14 & 24 inches, by the Oklahoma Wildlife Department. Lake Pawhuska quickly became a popular location for trout anglers during its first season of stocking in 1997.
* A resident or nonresident fishing license is required of all persons who take or attempt to take fish, including trout, unless otherwise exempt.
* A trout license ($7.75) is required for all who fish in state designated trout areas or in tributaries to a state designated trout stream during trout season. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
TROUT FISHING TIPS
Oklahoma has two introduced species of tout - rainbows and browns, with rainbows being far more abundant. Fingerling browns are stocked when available in the Mountain Fork River below Broken Bow dam and in the Lower Illinois River while rainbows are usually stocked every two weeks at all eight of the state's trout areas during designated trout seasons. Anglers can use the following tips to help them put trout on the stringer.
* Use an ultra-light rod and reel spooled with six pound or lighter line to produce more strikes.
* Small spinners, spoons, and crappie size jigs (tube or maribou) are good artificial lures.
* Fishing with live or prepared bait such as worms and salmon eggs is very productive where legal.
* Try small hooks (size 10 to 18) and sinkers to keep bait near the bottom and prevent trout from detecting any resistance.
* Fish during the early morning and late afternoons for best action.
* Concentrate on fishing around structure such as behind large rocks, logs and below riffles. Trout also tend to congregate above and below waterfalls, in an around deep pools and undercut banks.
* Rainbows tend to occupy faster moving water while browns may be found in more slack stretches.
* Trout face upstream to wait for insects to appear above them.
* Fly fisherman should try to fish with flies that resemble the insects and crustaceans that are most seasonally abundant.
* Fishing often improves a few days after stocking when trout have adjusted to their new environment.
Come visit us in Pawhuska, Oklahoma
McAlester Lake has 2,300 surface acres and 14 miles of shoreline and is equipped with two fishing docks, one is handicapped a...
"Best fishing & hospitality in the country!"
Fishing with my dad and cousin at Lake Pawhuska, OK on November 09, 2012... we were using Kastmasters and Sonic Roostertails... trout season is open from Nov...
my friend LJ got this one at the pawhuska city lake.
Catching trout in Pawhuska Oklahoma.
Took a run up to Northeastern Oklahoma over the weekend to poke around and see if I found any of the locations for the big budget film being shot up that way...
Took a run up to Northeastern Oklahoma yesterday to poke around and see if I found any of the locations for the big budget film being shot up that way named,...
A boat cruise on Bluestem Lake in Pawhuska, Oklahoma on July 4, 2011. This was one of the last great experiences I had with my father prior to his passing. I...