LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Cherokee Advocate


category : Monuments
The Cherokee Advocate

The Cherokee Advocate
Vol 1, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Thursday, September 9, 1844

As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.)

The marker was dedicated September 6, 1957 by the Oklahoma Press Association and the Oklahoma Professional Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi.



Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Memorial to the Confederate Dead

Erected in 1913 by the Colonial William Penn Adair Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy.

Tahlequah, OK Memorials

Cherokee National Prison

This sandstone building was erected in 1874 and originally had three stories. The third story was removed in 1925

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University

This four-year regional university has a long and colorful heritage which began in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of the National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary.

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Self-Guided Tour of Historic Tahlequah

History is one of Tahlequah's most valuable resources, much of it in the history of the Cherokee Nation ... to a Civil War cabin ... to homes of townspeople at the turn of the century.

Tahlequah, OK Tours

Murrell Home

The Murrell Home was built in the new Cherokee Nation about 1845 by George M. Murrell. Murrell was a native Virginain who married Minerva Ross in 1834. Minerva was a member of a wealthy mixed-blood Cherokee/Scottish family, and the niece of Chief John Ross.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Things to do Monuments near Tahlequah, OK