LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Old Conoco Station


category : Historic Buildings
Originally there were three frame buildings at this location. The first one housed a cigar factory, the second a barber shop and the third was offices for J.B. Fields, Realtor. John Degenhardt purchased the lot and moved the buildings around the corner and built the White Eagle Service Station. His son, Leo, later operated the business as a Mobile station and then Leo's son, Jim, ran the business for awhile. This corner has quite a history; it is known as the famous Lynching Corner.

Around the turn of the 20th century a colored man murdered a man in McFarland, robbed him and threw the body in the creek at McFarland. The colored man was apprehended and put in the county jail at the old courthouse in Alma. On a Sunday afternoon about 25 men broke into the jail, put a rope around the Negro's neck, drug him down the hill to main street and strung him up on a light pole. An eyewitness of the account said that after 15-20 minutes the crowd left him for dead and Marshall William Pippert climbed the pole, cut him down and discovered his was still alive. A doctor was summoned, the man revived and rushed away to keep the lynching from re-occurring.


Address: NW Corner of 3rd and Missouri Street

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Alma United Methodist Church

This wood frame church was built and dedicated to the Glory of God in 1878. The frame building was of a simple design with narrow pointed gothic arched windows and a slender belfry atop the roof, which boasted the first church bell in Alma. In 1906

Alma, KS Historic Churches

Wabaunsee Co. Historical Society & Museum

A focal point for visitors near and far. The museum features turn-of- the-century farm exhibits, a blacksmith shop, leather-making display, an early day doctor's office, an 1880 schoolroom, a 1928

Alma, KS Museums

Clapboard Ravine Drive

This is a beautiful scenic seven mile drive through the Flint Hills. This drive starts just north of Alma on the gravel road heading east past the Clapboard Acres housing development. About 1 1/2

Alma, KS Scenic Drives

Peace United Church of Christ

This native stone church was erected in 1881. Peter Land and August Beutel were responsible for the construction of the church. The bell and tower were added in 1897, as a gift of Johann and Maria Klockman.

Alma, KS Historic Churches

Schroeder/Ringel Residence

This native stone home was built by Gus Schroeder in 1888. The Schroeder home and the date built are inscribed on the stone scroll above the front door. The exterior from the 100

Alma, KS Famous Homes

Things to do Historic Buildings near Alma, KS

Lindley M. Harris House

This house was built in 1898, and features an asymmetrical front facade, spindlework and multiple shingle styles in addition ...

Hendricks Hardware

This stone building was built in the middle 1870s by Conrad Mueller. It operated as a saloon until Prohibition and then Mr. M...