LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Richardson County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
Richardson County Courthouse

The Richardson County Courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was completed in 1925 to replace a wooden courthouse which was destroyed by fire. The then county commissioners commissioned architect W.F. Gernandt to build a fire proof structure for $200,000. Mr. Gernandt chose a Classic Revival architecture design which gives the courthouse of today the atmosphere of grandeur. The exterior of the building has a stately splendor with its pillars and impressive entrances. Inside, the structure has been well cared for with its marble floors and spiral staircases.Courtroom Mural


The third floor district courtroom has a unique, historical 'Art Nouveau' work and is a significant example of the style used in interior decorations done by two Danish immigrant artists and interior decorators, James Willer and Charles Hansen. Willer and Hansen interior decorating involved free-hand painting, and also creative designs created by using stencils using either a pattern cut in paper, wood, or metal.


These immigrant artists settled in southeast Nebraska in 1907, and operated the business of Hansen and Willer, the Painters Courtroom Muraland Decorators. Their interior designs and art work can be found in many cities, including Diller, Beatrice, Fairbury, Wymore, Reynolds, Falls City, and at Creighton University in Omaha. In 1924, while working on the Richardson County Courthouse, they were known as James F. Willer and Company, High Grade Interior Decorating, Painting and Paper Hanging.


- Source, Charles Hansen and James Willer: Danish Interior Decorators in Diller, NE, 1909-1915, Written by Joni Gilkerson



Address: Downtown, 1700 Stone Street
Falls City, NE 68355
Phone: (402) 245-2911

Come visit us in Falls City, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Bell-Jenne House Museum

This Italiante-style house was built in 1881 and features an unusual decorative hardwood floor in the sitting room, classic furniture, painting by noted regional artist, Alice Cleaver, and details of political interest; such as, the coat and tails worn by Governor Arthur Weaver at his 1929

Falls City, NE Museums

Richardson County Courthouse

The Richardson County Courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was completed in 1925 to replace a wooden courthouse which was destroyed by fire. The then county commissioners commissioned architect W.F. Gernandt to build a fire proof structure for $200,000

Falls City, NE Historic Courthouses

Veteran's Memorial Monument

The Veteran's Memorial Monument is located on the southeast side of the courthouse lawn, and is a tribute to Richardson County men who were killed in World War II, the Korean Conflict, and the Vietnam War.

Falls City, NE Monuments

Richardson County Recreation Areas

Verdon State Recreation Area - Verdon, NE - 30 acres - Bluegill, channel catfish, largemouth bass; electric motors only, primitive camping, rehabitation conducted in 1999. 1/2 mile west of Verdon.

Cornhusker Scout Recreation - Humboldt, NE

Falls City, NE Recreation

Hotel Stephenson

The historic Hotel Stephenson, built in 1925, is located amongst the cobblestone streets of downtown Falls City. It has been restored and still remains as a lodging establishment with 20

Falls City, NE Historic Hotels

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Falls City, NE