Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University

category : Historic Buildings
Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University This four-year regional university has a long and colorful heritage which began in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of the National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary.

Seminary Hall, the centerpiece of campus is the former Cherokee National Female Seminary Building. It's been the center of education since 1889 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Address: NSU Campus, N. Grand and Goingsnake Street
Phone: 918-456-5511

Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Cherokee Heritage Center

The Cherokee Heritage Center, operated by the Cherokee National Historical Society, is located three miles south of Tahlequah, on the original site of the Cherokee Female Seminary. This remote area, covered with dense underbrush, was cleared in the mid-1960

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Murrell Home

The Murrell Home was built in the new Cherokee Nation about 1845 by George M. Murrell. Murrell was a native Virginain who married Minerva Ross in 1834. Minerva was a member of a wealthy mixed-blood Cherokee/Scottish family, and the niece of Chief John Ross.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Tsa-La-Gi Ancient Village

The Tsa-La-Gi Ancient Village has been hailed as one of America's finest living museums. It recreates the lifestyle of the Cherokees during the 16th century, prior to European contact. Realistic in design, the Village captures the living conditions of the Cherokee People.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Monument to General Stand Watie

- In Honor of -

General Stand Watie

Tahlequah, OK Monuments

The Cherokee Advocate

The Cherokee Advocate
Vol 1, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Thursday, September 9, 1844

As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.)

Tahlequah, OK Monuments

Things to do Historic Buildings near Tahlequah, OK

Clark Hardware

Having been in business since 1938, Clark Hardware was originally located in the Old Farmers Supply Building. In 1949, the cu...