The house was constructed on land bought in 1911 from a Creek Indian. It was initially a teacherage - the rooming house for single female teachers. One young teacher, Carolyn Paulk-McCluskey, who resided there later married L.K. Sharpe, a local dry goods store owner. When the house became available, she and her husband bought it. For more than fifty years, it was the Sharpe family home. They remodeled it extensively over the years. One example is the front columns. The columns were taken from a pre-Civil War house outside Natchez, Mississippi, and the house was renovated to accommodate them.
When Mrs. Sharpe died, the house sat empty for some time. finally, it was purchased by Kay Kindt and Armando Corral who have attempted to restore it. It is their intent that it be a reminder of a more gracious, leisurely era. It has been scraped and painted and papered and buffed and shined, and furnished with heirlooms of the families. Today it is open as a Bed and Breakfast.
Come visit us in Checotah, Oklahoma