St. Rose of Lima church is of Gothic architecture, its arches pointing heavenward like hands pressed together in prayer. Built in 1951, this building is the new St. Rose, an imposing stone structure that replaces the frame church made inadequate by the rapid growth of St. Rose of Lima parish.
The St. Rose of Lima church was erected in 1900 for the sake of the Catholic Indians attending the Genoa Indian School. The authorities in the Indian School would not permit religious services in any of the buildings on the premises. Father Delfosse made arrangements for these children by securing the use of the Presbyterian Church for services. There he gathered the Indian children, offered the Holy Sacrifice, administered the Sacraments, and instructed them.
These arrangements were only temporary until a church could be built with the assistance from the Bishop Scannell who sold land he had acquired in Greeley County and used the money to buy the lots at the present site and pay for the construction of the first church.
Address: Highway 22
Come visit us in Genoa, Nebraska