LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Starr Springs Monument


category : Monuments
Starr Springs Monument The Starr Springs area was first settled by the Benjamin Cooper family in 1834. It was the site of the Andrew Adair and George Washington Adair massacre in 1853. The springs along with Shell Creek are the main sources for the headwaters of Sallisaw Creek. They were named for George Harlan Starr who purchased the property in 1867. He is buried in a family plot in the vicinity.

On May 12, 1911, the City of Stilwell entered into a lease agreement with George Harlan Starr's son, Samuel J. Starr and his wife Ruth, to supply water from Starr Springs to the inhabitants of Stilwell for a period of Ninety-nine (99) years.

Producing more than 500,000 gallons of water a day, Starr Springs was the sole source of water for the City of Stilwell for many years. The water was pure enough that it did not require treatment. Taking the place of numerous wells, Starr Springs played an important roll in the growth and development of business and industry in the expanding town of Stilwell. When industry demands became too great, the city had to look for other water sources and built Carson Lake in the Lyons Community to supplement the supply form the springs.

Starr Springs remains an important landmark. On November 25, 1995, a historical marker for Starr Springs was dedicated to the memory of family historian and genealogist, D.M. "Mack" Starr (1924-1995), great-grandson of George Harlan Starr.

Marker, Oklahoma Historical Society, 224 - 1995.


Address: Erected at the Intersection of Highways 100 and 59 south of Stilwell

Come visit us in Stilwell, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Starr Springs Monument

The Starr Springs area was first settled by the Benjamin Cooper family in 1834. It was the site of the Andrew Adair and George Washington Adair massacre in 1853

Stilwell, OK Monuments

Eagle Theater

Movies. The name conjures up an era of innocence watered by cold soda pop and fertilized by the smell of hot, buttered popcorn. It recalls the excitement of a well-shaven hero, a beautiful virtuous heroine, and the happy memories of yesteryear.

Stilwell, OK Historic Theatres

Adair County Courthouse

After Governor Charles N. Haskell's declaration on May 6, 1910, that Stilwell was the permanent county seat of Adair County, the county records were moved from Westville to Stilwell for the last time. A two-story frame school building, erected in 1902, was used until 1908

Stilwell, OK Historic Courthouses

Veteran's Memorial

In 1992, this patriotic memorial to the veteran's of all wars was dedicated on the front lawn of the Adair County Courthouse. "Lest We Forget" those men who made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the peace and security of their fellow man.

Stilwell, OK Memorials

Fairfield Mission Monument

"Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission.

Stilwell, OK Monuments

Things to do Monuments near Stilwell, OK

Cherokee Square Monuments

Several monuments of interest have been erected on Cherokee Square surrounding the Capitol Building.