LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Winchester Jail


category : Pioneer Life
Winchester Jail Built in 1909, this jail came from the town of Winchester, Kansas. Since it was not fireproof, it was never locked. It was a place for drunks and tramps to sleep. The jail was a meeting place for the city council, police court and voting.

The building, complete with the original iron fixtures, was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1977. A 300-piece collection of barbed wire, which belonged to the late John Woolfolk of McLouth, is on display.

The Winchester Star, Winchester, Kansas, Friday, October 1, 1909

"At last Winchester has a place in which disturbers of the peace may be thrown for safe keeping. A jail has been erected in the alley between the printing office and Evans' restaurant. We hope that none of our people will so far get out of the way that it will be necessary for them to occupy the place, but the way to keep out, is to be good."


Admission: Free will donation
Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 785-766-6342
Our Email: maggie2929@hotmail.com

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Tibbot Schoolhouse

Originally a country schoolhouse located southeast of Oskaloosa, the Tibbot school was moved to Oskaloosa in the 1950's and became part of the grade school, along with the Lone Tree, Kilgour and Plum Grove country schools. The building was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1975.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life


Winchester Jail

Built in 1909, this jail came from the town of Winchester, Kansas. Since it was not fireproof, it was never locked. It was a place for drunks and tramps to sleep. The jail was a meeting place for the city council, police court and voting.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Edmonds Chapel

Edmonds Chapel stood 4 1/2 miles north of McLouth, Kansas, for more than 75 years. Edmonds Church was an affiliate of the United Brethren in Christ (UB), though people from many denominations worshipped there down through the years.

Oskaloosa, KS Historic Churches

Bowstring Bridge

Built in Cleveland, Ohio, the bowstring bridge was originally located across Rock Creek, north of Meridan, in 1875.

The 48-ft long, 14-ft wide bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990

Oskaloosa, KS National Register

Things to do Pioneer Life near Oskaloosa, KS