LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Green Country, Oklahoma

LASR - Green Country - Oklahoma Sallisaw Gore Warner Checotah Eufaula Fort Gibson Muskogee Henryetta Okmulgee Stilwell Westville Tahlequah Wagoner Coweta Jenks Broken Arrow Owasso Sapulpa Bristow Drumright Sand Springs Mannford Colcord Jay Grove Ketchum Bernice Chouteau Locust Grove Salina Spavinaw Langley Pensacola Disney Adair Pryor Catoosa Claremore Foyil Chelsea Oologah Collinsville Cleveland Pawnee Picher Miami Afton Welch Vinita Nowata Bartlesville Dewey Skiatook Hominy Barnsdall Pawhuska Shidler

From sprawling cattle ranches to curlicued Art Deco skyscrapers, Osage brush arbors to Route 66 diners, northeastern Oklahoma is where the American Dream met the American West. The area's Native American roots can be traced back to the prehistoric Spiro Mound Builders -- the story of the 12th century empire they built is told at Spiro Mounds Archaeological Park near Poteau. In the 19th Century, the Cherokee tribe built their capitol on the green banks of the Illinois River and Creek Indian councils met under a massive oak in "Tulsey Town." The Osage tribe moved from Kansas to Pawhuska, named for the Osage chief, on the border of the tall grass prairie; the tribe was confident the roots of the rich grass were so thick and deep the land would never be plowed by settlers. The discovery of vast seas of oil beneath the prairies changed the face of northeastern Oklahoma -- Tulsey Town became Tulsa, "Oil Capitol of the World," and nearby Bartlesville grew from a Delaware trading post to a cosmopolitan town boasting a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed skyscraper.

Explore Green Country


Veteran's Memorial

In 1992, this patriotic memorial to the veteran's of all wars was dedicated on the front lawn of the Adair County Courthouse. "Lest We Forget" those men who made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the peace and security of their fellow man.

Stilwell, OK Memorials

Pawnee County Historical Museum

The Pawnee County Historical Society Museum presents artifacts in several period room displays and is also the Dick Tracy Collection Headquarters for the midwest.

Pawnee, OK Museums

Coo-Y-Yah Museum

Indian artifacts of Mayes County.

Pryor, OK Museums

1903 Building

This interesting building is located on the corner of south Lee across from the Fort Gibson State Bank.

Fort Gibson, OK Historic Buildings

Overstreet-Kerr Historical Farm

At the Overstreet-Kerr Farm visitors may glimpse life on this working farm as it was in the early 20th century. See the lavishly restored, 1895, antique filled, 14-room pioneer home that is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places

Sallisaw, OK Museums

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Lake Eufaula Hunting

Corps of Engineers project lands are open for public hunting except for developed park area and lands in the vicinity of the dam and other project structures. The principal game species include bobwhite quail, deer, cottontail rabbit, squirrel, duck, geese and morning dove.

, OK Hunting

J. B. Milam Memorial Marker

J. BARTLEY MILAM, Principal Chief of the Cherokees. The Cherokee government had been dismantled in 1907 when Oklahoma became a state. In 1941, Milam was appointed Chief for a year by Franklin D. Roosevelt and was reappointed until his death in 1949

Salina, OK Memorials

Osage Indian Heritage

From early tribal tradition, and from the research of archaeologists and historians, and the ancestors of the Osage, we know that this tribe of Indians was closely affiliated with the Siouan, or Dhegiha tribes, their dialect being much the same.

Pawhuska, OK Ethnic Heritage

MKT Railroad Depot and Hospitality Center

The present depot was expanded in 1925 from the original depot built about 1910. Missouri-Kansas-Texas service started in 1904 and continued until 1977. During the oil boom years of the 1920s, nine freight and four passenger grains stopped in Hominy each day.

Hominy, OK Railroad History

J. M. Davis Arms & Historic Museum

The Davis Arms Museum contains the world's largest collection of guns with over 20,000 on display. It is also the home for a large collection of John Rogers statuaries, a stein collection, swords, saddles, Indian artifacts,

Claremore, OK Museums

Explore Green Country