Dodge County was established in 1856. Fontenelle was named temporary county seat, but Fremont won the county seat designation in 1860. J.J. Hawthorn donated land for courthouse purposes in 1866. In 1867 the county built the first courthouse, a two-story brick structure. In December 188Fremont, NE Historic Courthouses
It has been estimated that at least 20,000 persons died on the overland trail between 1842 and 1859. This averages ten graves per miles over the 2,000 mile trail. Of the hundreds that died while crossing Nebraska, only seven identifiable graves remain.Oshkosh, NE Historical Markers
The Little Church at Keystone is a monument to religious harmony. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this combined Catholic/Protestant Church was built in a pioneer town that was too small for two churches. Special dispensation was received from Pope Leo XIII.Ogallala, NE Historic Churches
Opened in September 1996 on the site of an old limestone quarry, this 18-hole, championship course is considered the state's most beautiful and challenging course. Carved out of a forest, the 7,000-yard layout, with steep, sloping fairways, uses a quarry as a water hazard.
"Ashland, NE Recreation
The Grand Army Republic offered membership to all military personal who served in the Union Army from 1861 to 1865. The purpose was to provide camaraderie for the veterans and support for the widows and orpans of the union soldiers. The G.A.R. Hall in Nebraska City was just one of close to 100Nebraska City, NE Museums