Located at the Old Castle Complex is the Palmyra Post Office and Blood's Grocery which opened in 1857. Originally located north of the highway on the Santa Fe Trail, it served travelers on the trail a... Palmyra Post Office
[Kibbee Cabin] The Kibbee Cabin is a reproduction of a log cabin which stood on the crest of the Santa Fe Ridge (commonly called "Big Hill") north of Baldwin where a group of Methodist ministers met t... Kibbee Cabin
A white oak log cabin stands at the roadside park three miles east of Baldwin on Highway 56. Built in observance of Kansas' centennial in 1961, it now houses historical artifacts as well as hosting me... Black Jack Log Cabin
The historic Santa Fe Trail which carried civilization and commerce between the East and the Mexican settlements of the southwest between 1825 and 1875, traversed much of Kansas. Today one of the best... Santa Fe Trail Ruts
Located three blocks north of Highway 56 on Washington Street in Baldwin (the only Palmyra street to still carry its original name), the Santa Fe Trail Well provided the first fresh water for traveler... Santa Fe Trail Well
The native stone and brick bridge over Tauy Creek was erected in 1890 at the request of Baldwin's first female mayor, Lucy Sullivan. Mrs. Sullivan, one of the nation's earliest woman mayors, and her a... Women's Bridge
Here, and for the next 300 miles west, Highway 56 roughly follows the old Santa Fe Trail, and frequently crosses it. White settlement began in this area in 1854, the year Kansas became a territory, an... Baldwin, Historical Marker
This battle was part of the struggle to make Kansas a free state. In May, 1856, Pro-slavery men destroyed buildings and newspaper presses in Lawrence, Free-State headquarters. John Brown's company then killed 5
Allen Park, Main and High streets in West Baldwin (formerly Media), is privately owned and maintained by the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society. While privately owned, it is open to the public and offers a ball field, play area and shelterhouse with picnic tables, running water and grills.
The Quayle Bible Collection includes over 700 volumes and manuscripts dating from hand-lettered and ornately-decorated Bibles by monks, clay tablets from 2060 BC (the time of Abraham), a synagogue roll from the 12th century made of 13
Case Hall is Baker University's first library building. Completed in 1907 with a grant from the Carnegie Foundation it is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its innovated construction for the time.