In 1888 U.S. Senator Algernon Paddock built a hotel and a large opera house. That structure was destroyed by fire on August
1, 1919. Two years later a hotel company was organized, resulting in the New Paddock Hotel, which was completed in 1924.
This limestone Richardson Romanesque structure with a
clock tower was erected in 1890-1892, and has served as the location for the administration of local government and institutions for Gage County for over 100