In 1873 under the leadership of Spotted Tail, the Brule Sioux moved from their prior agency near Fort Randall, South Dakota, to northwest Nebraska, and finally to an agency overlooking Beaver Creek. The agency was composed of storehouses, an issue building, a carpentry shop, a sawmill, stables, and other structures. Spotted Tail Agency was where Crazy Horse began his final journey to Fort Robinson, and where his burial scaffold was erected following his killing at the Fort.
To guard the agency, Camp Sheridan was established as a tent camp in the fall of 1874 about one mile from Spotted Tail Agency. Permanent facilities were constructed in the spring of 1875 consisting of over thirty frame and brick structures. Following removal of the Brule to the Rosebud Agency in South Dakota, activity declined and Camp Sheridan was abandoned by the army in 1880. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 13 miles north of Highway 20 on county road at the west edge of Hay Springs
Come visit us in Gordon, Nebraska