The Clay County Courthouse at Clay Center was constructed in 1900-1901 on land donated in the 1860's for use as a public square by the town's founder, Alfonzo F. Dexter.
It is an excellent example of early Romanesque architecture in Kansas. The use of alternating bands of stone and the massive stone masonry laid by the MW Grand Master of Kansas, and the dominant central clock tower make this one of the outstanding buildings in the state and one of the most impressive courthouses in north central Kansas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: Located in the Downtown Courthouse Square
Come visit us in Clay Center, Kansas