This beautiful building was constructed in 1931. It is constructed of Carthage and native stone. The Carthage stone, used on the outside for facing, gives the appearance of a granite building. All outside walls are backed up with eight inches of native stone.
Italian men were hired to do the Terrazzo steps and floors in the corridors through the building. Terrazzo is a floor material of broken stone and cement. It was shipped in sacks, poured, finished and polished in place. Stairways, handrails and corridor walls of marble are featured throughout the building.
The beauty of the marble on the second floor is enhanced by a map of Wabaunsee County carved in the terrazzo floor, naming all of the 13 townships in the county. There are several memorials and historical markers on the courthouse grounds.
Come visit us in Alma, Kansas