LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Frontier Trails Across Gage County


category : Historic Trails

The Oregon Trail enters Nebraska and crosses the southwest corner of Gage County. In
the early 1840's over 300,000 brave adventurers crossed this spot on their way west. A
stone monument was erected in 1914 by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
as a tribute to these early pioneers. The monument still stands near the village of Lanham
and is part of the Gage County Historical Society's properties.


The DeRoin Trail ran from Brownville near the town of St. DeRoin to Beatrice and on to
meet the Oregon Trail near Alexandria. It followed the old Otoe-Omaha Indian Trail and
was also know as the Brownville or Government Road. Originally the trail joined the Austin Trail near the present
site of Pickrell and continued west. In the 1850's when Beatrice was able to sell the travelers supplies, the trail
dropped further south and followed what is now Court Street. They crossed the Big Blue River just south of the
current Court Street bridge on the rock bottom ford know as the Scott Street ford.


The Brownville-Fort Kearney Trail entered Gage County from the east and joined the DeRoin Trail crossing
the Blue River ford. This trail ran from about the 1850's until about 1865.


The Nebraska City-Beatrice Trail, established in 1850, crossed the Nemaha river near the Johnson-Gage
County line and continued southwesterly to Beatrice.


The Reservation Road, ran from Marysville, Kansas north to the Otoe-Missouria reservation in southern Gage
County and followed the Blue River to either Beatrice or connected with the DeRoin Trail and traveled northeast.
It was on this road that the limestone, from Holmesville quarry, to build the first state capital in Lincoln was hauled
following near to the present Highway 77.


The Austin Trail, ran directly west from Brownsville and connected with the Oregon Trail near Alexandria,
Nebraska. It was in existence from the 1840's until the late 1850's when travel was diverted south to Beatrice on
the DeRoin Trail. In Beatrice the traveler could purchase supplies before heading further west.


The Ash Point Road was a mail route started near Rulo to Beatrice via Liberty. It probably joined the
Reservation road somewhere near Blue Springs or Holmesville.



Come visit us in Beatrice, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Rockford Lake - SRA

This popular 150-acre fishing and power boating lake has 286 land acres with plenty of room for picnicking, hiking, primitive camping, unsupervised swimming, fishing and hunting (in season). Facilities include drinking water and latrines.

Beatrice, NE Recreation

Centenary United Methodist

This impressive limestone church was erected in 1929

Beatrice, NE Historic Churches

Prairie Playground

Prairie Playground is located near the Beatrice YMCA. If you are visiting for a tournament, rest assured the younger tikes will be busy with Prairie Playground.

Beatrice, NE Fun Centers

Homestead National Monument of America

The Homestead Act of 1862 - By the 1850's, huge land acquisitions had filled out the continental United States. the country's sheer vastness strengthened the conviction that the public domain

Beatrice, NE National Monuments

Kilpatrick Mansion

The "Kilpatrick Mansion" is a two-and-one-half story brick dwelling constructed in 1904-5 in the Renaissance Revival style, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Beatrice, NE Historic Homes

Things to do Historic Trails near Beatrice, NE

Frontier Trails Across Gage County

The Oregon Trail enters Nebraska and crosses the southwest corner of Gage County. In ...

Ox-Bow Trail

The Ox-Bow Trail started at Nebraska City, went northwest to the Platte River and then southwest to Fort Kearney. The trai...

Historic Forty-Niner Trail

During the 19th century the United States underwent a dramatic westward expansion, but perhaps no single event stimulated thi...