LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Mormon-Ox Bow Trail Marker


category : Historic Trails
Mormon-Ox Bow Trail Marker

The Saunders County Historical Society was the recipient of one of two rocks making up the Twin Rocks marker on the Ox-Bow Trail through the generosity of Don Johnson of Ceresco and Christine Nygren of Ashland.


The Ox-Bow Trail started at Nebraska City, went northwest to the Platte River and then southwest to Fort Kearney. The trail was in the shape of the curved wooden yoke worn by the oxen which pulled the wagons. This trail had the advantage of easy access to water, with only one stream to ford at the crossing of Salt Creek at the Saline Ford (present day Ashland). Between 1840 and 1867, before the railroad, the Ox-Bow Trail was an important immigrant and freighter overland wagon trail and a northern "feeder" route on the Oregon-Mormon Trail.


The Twin Rocks consisted of two large rocks, which were located northeast of Ceresco. An early owner, an enterprising farmer, blasted apart the first rock before neighbors stopped him, explaining the landmark's significance. The second rock, of red Sioux quartzite, was removed in the fall of 1991 and sold to a landscaping firm in Gretna. By luck, Don Johnson, originally from Ceresco, found the rock and offered it to the Historical Society.


The Saunders County Department of Roads hauled the 24,490 pound rock from Gretna to the Historical Society Museum Complex in Wahoo, where it is inscribed and on permanent display in front of the museum.



Address: 240 N. Walnut (Highway 77 and 3rd Street) - 1 block South of the Courthouse
Phone: 402-443-3090

Come visit us in Wahoo, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church was organized at Eldred, 12 miles northeast of Wahoo. Rev. Mr. Giddings was the preacher for both Eldred and Wahoo. The organizational meeting was headed by Rev. J.E. Heaton and took place on May 28, 1871. In 1880, a church was erected on the southeast corner of 5

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Saunders County Historical Society Museum

Experience Saunders County history through its complex of seven buildings and caboose on 5 acres of land.

The Main Building completed in 1994 and the newer Anderson-Nelson addition house displays and exhibits about Wahoo'

Wahoo, NE Museums

St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

The first group of Czech settlers to come to the vicinity of Wahoo arrived in August of 1874. These settlers, who were of the Catholic faith, had to travel 15 to 20 miles in order to attend mass. For three years these settlers traveled to Plasi, Fremont or Abie to attend services. Finally in 1877

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Historic Hanson House

This simplified Queen Anne dwelling was built about 1888 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is the childhood home of Dr. Howard Hanson from 1896-1917

Wahoo, NE National Register

Saunders County Courthouse

In the early1900s the old courthouse building became inadequate which led to the construction of a new building. In 1903 a vote was held for the issuing of bonds and the construction of a proper kind of building for county purposes. It passed by a vote of 1,967 to 524

Wahoo, NE Historic Courthouses

Things to do Historic Trails near Wahoo, NE

Historic Seven Trails

In the early development of Tecumseh and Johnson County seven historic trails criss-crossed the county as commerce and tra...

Frontier Trails Across Gage County

The Oregon Trail enters Nebraska and crosses the southwest corner of Gage County. In ...

Historic Forty-Niner Trail

During the 19th century the United States underwent a dramatic westward expansion, but perhaps no single event stimulated thi...