This four story hotel was sometimes referred to as the "Waldorf of the Prairies". In 1887, John A. Stevens built the hotel next to the Opera House (the Opera House no longer exists). it was built of native stone and brick kilned locally. It contained 125 rooms, no closets and few bathrooms.
The first courthouse in Finney County was built in October, 1885, at this location. The county soon outgrew the small building and in 1902 was moved to a larger building at 113 South Main Street until the present courthouse was built in 1929.
The Finnup Center for Conservation Education is a state-of-the-art facility which helps the zoo fulfill its primary mission of education. The beautifully crafted center is named for its benefactor, the Finnup family, long time supporters of the zoo and Finnup Park.
Completed in the spring of 199