LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Historic Hanson House


category : National Register
Historic Hanson House

This simplified Queen Anne dwelling was built about 1888 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is the childhood home of Dr. Howard Hanson from 1896-1917. He was a musician, educator, composer, and achieved international status. Hanson was born in the house in 1896, and his family continued to reside there until 1943. Hanson was known for his innovative methods of teaching music. He served as director of the Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester, New York, for forty years and is credited with making the school nationally famous. Hanson' own compositions won numerous awards.


The home features beautiful stained glass windows, wood columns and a music room with the original Hanson piano. It has been lovingly restored inside and out by the Wahoo Women's Club, and is owned by the Saunders County Historical Society.


The house honors the five famous sons of Saunders County and is open for tours.



Hours: Memorial Day through Labor Day, Sunday from 2:00 - 4:00 pm, or by appointment.
Address: Corner of 12th and Linden
Phone: 402-443-3090

Come visit us in Wahoo, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

The first group of Czech settlers to come to the vicinity of Wahoo arrived in August of 1874. These settlers, who were of the Catholic faith, had to travel 15 to 20 miles in order to attend mass. For three years these settlers traveled to Plasi, Fremont or Abie to attend services. Finally in 1877

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church was organized at Eldred, 12 miles northeast of Wahoo. Rev. Mr. Giddings was the preacher for both Eldred and Wahoo. The organizational meeting was headed by Rev. J.E. Heaton and took place on May 28, 1871. In 1880, a church was erected on the southeast corner of 5

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Wahoo Recreation Areas

The Wahoo Area Recreation Association operates a community recreation center (Civic Center) and senior center and has responsibility for maintaining the municipal outdoor pool and all Wahoo parks and

Wahoo, NE Recreation

Mormon-Ox Bow Trail Marker

The Saunders County Historical Society was the recipient of one of two rocks making up the Twin Rocks marker on the Ox-Bow Trail through the generosity of Don Johnson of Ceresco and Christine Nygren of Ashland.

Wahoo, NE Historic Trails

Bethlehem Lutheran Church

The first Lutheran services ever conducted in Wahoo were in 1880. They were conducted by Rev. Nels Nordling, pastor of Edensburg church of Malmo and were held in the N.J. Anderson photography gallery. On December 25, 1883 the Swedes organized the present congregation. Lots 4, 5, and 6

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Things to do National Register near Wahoo, NE