The two-story log cabin now located just south of the Ellis County Courthouse on the Courthouse lawn, built of cedar logs was originally built in Ellis County near where Joe Pyle Canyon and Spring Canyon intersect.
Tom Black built the cabin in 1893. Tom married Belle Downing who had four sons, a daughter, and a granddaughter. Along with Tom's own son all seven people lived for several years in the log cabin which had a lean-to attached at that time.
The cabin was built of cedar timbers hewn from the large cedars that grew in Spring Canyon. The logs in the cabin are huge, as much as 2 1/2 feet across.
The Belew family and others used the cabin until 1939, and soon thereafter the historical value was recognized and it was torn down and reassembled in Arnett. It was used as a law office for several years. In 1968, it was moved again to its permanent protected location just south of the old jail on the Courthouse Square in Arnett.
It is still in use as a meeting place for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts.
Hours: Open by appointment
Address: US-60 & SH-283
Come visit us in Arnett, Oklahoma