LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall


category : Historic Buildings
Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall Constructed in 1889, this building originally served as the post hospital until after World War II, when primary medical facilities were moved to Camp Whiteside. It is named after General Charles P. Summerall, who was an early commander of the 1st Infantry Division in World War I and later served as Chief of Staff of the Army.

Today, the building is the headquarters for Fort Riley.


Admission: Free.
Hours: 24 Hours.
Address: Bldg #500, Huebner Road and Holbrook
Phone: 785-239-2743
Our Website:www.riley.army.mil

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Polk Hall

Known in its early years as West Riding Hall, this building was completed in 1908 and served until after World War II as one of two indoor riding halls.

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Wounded Knee Monument

This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

Fort Riley, KS Monuments

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Riley, KS

Hendricks Hardware

This stone building was built in the middle 1870s by Conrad Mueller. It operated as a saloon until Prohibition and then Mr. M...

Lindley M. Harris House

This house was built in 1898, and features an asymmetrical front facade, spindlework and multiple shingle styles in addition ...