LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Post Office Oak and Museum


category : Landmarks
Post Office Oak and Museum This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847. Passing caravans could leave messages for future travelers in a cache in the base of the tree. A stone building erected in 1864 next to the tree houses a museum, operated by the Morris County Historical Society. Open Sunday afternoons in summer and by appointment.


Address: East Main Street

Come visit us in Council Grove, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Early Day Jail

Desperadoes, ruffians, robbers and horse thieves all "bunked" here in this early day calaboose (jail), built in 1849. It was said to be the only jail on the Santa Fe Trail at the time. Other Durland Park attractions:

Council Grove, KS Pioneer Life

Council Oak

A shelter east of the Neosho River bridge protects the stump of the Council Oak. Gathered in the shade of the big oak on a hot August day in 1825

Council Grove, KS Landmarks

Custer Elm

Legend has it that while patrolling the Santa Fe Trail with his famous 7th Cavalry Regiment, George Armstrong Custer camped under the huge elm that flourished at this site. The massive trunk is all that remains of this tree that measured more than 100 feet tall and 16 feet around. Custer bought 120

Council Grove, KS Landmarks


Seth Hays Home

The town founder, Seth Hays, built this home in 1867. His slave, Aunt Sally, lived in the basement and cared for Hays and his adopted daughter, Kittie Robbins, until her death in 1872. Hays died a year later, February 3, 1873

Council Grove, KS Museums

Things to do Landmarks near Council Grove, KS