LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Radium Town and the Keller Bath House


category : Historic Buildings
Radium Town and the Keller Bath House An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling" water. Dr. W.G. Williams had the water analyzed for medical use and then marketed it as a cure. Bath houses were built and "radium water" baths became Claremore's biggest industry. The bath houses are now closed, and the area is in a stage of disrepair. The wells remain and are just waiting for the right investors to take up the dream of better health through the magical cure of mineral water.

To drive to this area of town be on Blue Starr Drive, to Dorothy Street (one block past Sioux). When Dorothy Street splits, stay right, and you will be on Seminole. When you get to 9th Street, turn left (east).

From 9th Street, turn right on Lavira to the KELLER BATH HOUSE, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The two-story brick bath house has beautiful ornate wrought iron trim and was built in the 1900's. Once called the Mendenhall Bath, House, one could get a radium water bath for 25.


Address: 7th and Lavira

Come visit us in Claremore, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Lynn Riggs Memorial

The south wing of the Old Will Rogers Library is the Lynn Riggs Memorial. Rollie Lynn Riggs was born in 1899, 3 miles southwest of Claremore in Indian Territory. He became an internationally famous author and playwright of "Green Grow the Lilacs", from which the musical "Oklahoma!"

Claremore, OK Memorials

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Belvidere

This magnificent Victorian mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was started circa 1902

Claremore, OK Museums

Rogers State University

When Oklahoma was granted statehood, the first legislature established Eastern University Preparatory School, which opened on College Hill in Claremore in 1909

Claremore, OK Colleges

Old Armory

The Oklahoma National Guard Armory was built by the WPA in 1936 during President Franklin D. Roosevelt's term and was constructed by local Claremore residents with the sandstone unearthed in Oklahoma. During the 1940'

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Buildings near Claremore, OK