St. Joseph Catholic Church with its 150 foot steeple was built of native limestone, quarried near Odin, Kansas. The church was completed and the first Mass was offered Aug. 13, 1902.
There are frescoes in the arches near the ceiling, and the pipe organ installed in 1928 at cost of $3,500 is still used. A new altar added in 1947, was designed by E. Hacker Company from LaCrosse, Wisconsin. It is made of cream Mankato marble with pillars of Jaune Brocatelle marble. The Baptisimal font that is quite ornate is from the 1902 church. The new steps, gothic lamps and railings were added in 1937.
Come visit us in Ellinwood, Kansas