St. Mary's Chapel

category : Historic Churches
St. Mary's Chapel As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850's. The cornerstone was laid by the first chaplain at Fort Riley, Chaplin Clarkson, when it became the post chapel. During the War Between the States it was used as an arsenal, and later as a school. The chapel was extensively renovated in 1938 and rededicated as a Catholic Chapel.

The Main Post Chapel whose cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1897, was dedicated in January, 1898.Main Post Chapel

Admission: Free or Donation
Hours: By Appointment
Address: Bldg #5, Barry Avenue
Phone: 785-239-2743

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Statue of "Old Trooper Bill"

The Old Trooper has become a symbol at Fort Riley of the proud heritage of the Horse Cavalry. It is modeled after the drawing of "Old Bill," the cavalry soldier drawn by famous western artist, Frederic Remington. This sketch is displayed in the Cavalry Museum'

Fort Riley, KS Memorials

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall

Constructed in 1889, this building originally served as the post hospital until after World War II, when primary medical facilities were moved to Camp Whiteside. It is named after General Charles P. Summerall, who was an early commander of the 1

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Trolley Station

The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Churches near Fort Riley, KS