LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Wounded Knee Monument


category : Monuments
Wounded Knee Monument This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

The monument was dedicated in 1893 and was originally located where the 26th Cavalry Monument now stands. Along with the Ogden Monument, it was relocated in 1923 to places of greater visibility along the main highway through post (Huebner Road), then known as the Golden Belt Highway.


Address: Intersection of Sheridan Avenue and Huebner Road

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Custer House - Fort Riley

Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Polk Hall

Known in its early years as West Riding Hall, this building was completed in 1908 and served until after World War II as one of two indoor riding halls.

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

U. S. Cavalry Museum

The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Things to do Monuments near Fort Riley, KS