LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Clay County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
Clay County Courthouse The Clay County Courthouse at Clay Center was constructed in 1900-1901 on land donated in the 1860's for use as a public square by the town's founder, Alfonzo F. Dexter.

It is an excellent example of early Romanesque architecture in Kansas. The use of alternating bands of stone and the massive stone masonry laid by the MW Grand Master of Kansas, and the dominant central clock tower make this one of the outstanding buildings in the state and one of the most impressive courthouses in north central Kansas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Address: Located in the Downtown Courthouse Square
Phone: 785-632-5237

Come visit us in Clay Center, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Vietnam War Memorial

The Vietnam War Memorial, dedicated in 1997, was created by Sandy Scott and stands in tribute to those veterans at the West entrance to the historic courthouse in downtown Clay Center.

Clay Center, KS Memorials

Band Shell

The Clay Center Municipal Band Shell was built in 1934, it is a W.P.A. project and is on the Kansas Register of Historic Places. The Band Shell hosts many City Band Concerts throughout the year.

Clay Center, KS Historic Buildings

Clay County Historical Museum

The Clay County Museum is housed in the former Clay Center Hospital building constructed in 1925. The structure served as a nursing home before it became the location of the museum in 1975.

Clay Center, KS Museums

Heritage Row Museum Complex

Heritage Row is representative of the early founders of our community. Some of the first buildings of Clay Center can be found there. It is located at the West end of Clay Center on highway 24

Clay Center, KS Museums

Carnegie Library

Circa 1912, the Library is on the National Register of Historic Places

Clay Center, KS Carnegie Libraries

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Clay Center, KS