The two-story limestone house, constructed in 1876-81, is a remnant of the village of Estelle, established by John Daniel in 1881. The house was the first post office and general store for the small community. John Daniel and his wife, Mary, came to Hayes County in 1874 from Indiana. Daniel hoped that Estelle would be the county seat, but when Hayes County was organized, Estelle lost the election for county seat to Hayes Center.
Eventually the railroad bypassed Estelle, and the post office was discontinued in 1891. The property also contains remnants of rock corral fence, which Daniel constructed.
The house and nearby school are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and are located in the rural area of the Hamlet vicinity.
Come visit us in Hayes Center, Nebraska