LASR.net Homepage




Menu


St. Joseph Catholic Church


category : Historic Churches
St. Joseph Catholic Church St. Joseph Catholic Church with its 150 foot steeple was built of native limestone, quarried near Odin, Kansas. The church was completed and the first Mass was offered Aug. 13, 1902.

There are frescoes in the arches near the ceiling, and the pipe organ installed in 1928 at cost of $3,500 is still used. A new altar added in 1947, was designed by E. Hacker Company from LaCrosse, Wisconsin. It is made of cream Mankato marble with pillars of Jaune Brocatelle marble. The Baptisimal font that is quite ornate is from the 1902 church. The new steps, gothic lamps and railings were added in 1937.


Come visit us in Ellinwood, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Dick Building and Ellinwood Museum

The Dick Building was built in 1887 and is listed on the Kansas State Historical Register. It was bought by Matt Dick in 1889

Ellinwood, KS Museums

Wolf Park Bandshell

Fred Wolf bought the lots for a park on Mainstreet and in 1930 a bandshell was built by Young Construction Company of Hutchinson for under $4000. There was seating for 35 muscicians. Trees, shrubs, flowers, paths, and a gold fish pool were designed for the park. Soon seating for 250

Ellinwood, KS Amphitheaters

Santa Fe Depot

The existing Santa Fe Depot is the fourth depot built in Ellinwood and was dedicated on Dec. 17, 1903. The previous depot was hit by lightning and burned in 1902

Ellinwood, KS Railroad History


St. Joseph Catholic Church

St. Joseph Catholic Church with its 150 foot steeple was built of native limestone, quarried near Odin, Kansas. The church was completed and the first Mass was offered Aug. 13, 1902. There are frescoes in the arches near the ceiling, and the pipe organ installed in 1928 at cost of $3,500

Ellinwood, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Churches near Ellinwood, KS

The Community Church

The Community church was organized in 1872, and constructed the following year at a cost of $2,000. The church had a startin...

Congregation Church

Built in 1913, the Congregational Church was later sold to the United Brethren and is still standing although it is now owned...

Methodist Church

A wood frame building was built to be the first church in Sylvia. In 1911 the board members realized the church was too small...