LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Women's Bridge


category : Pioneer Life
Women's Bridge The native stone and brick bridge over Tauy Creek was erected in 1890 at the request of Baldwin's first female mayor, Lucy Sullivan. Mrs. Sullivan, one of the nation's earliest woman mayors, and her all-female council distinguished themselves with community improvements such as this bridge "so the women wouldn't have to get their skirts muddy while crossing the creek on the way to the depot."


Address: 11th and High Street

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Black Jack Log Cabin

A white oak log cabin stands at the roadside park three miles east of Baldwin on Highway 56. Built in observance of Kansas' centennial in 1961, it now houses historical artifacts as well as hosting meetings and gatherings.

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Palmyra Post Office

Located at the Old Castle Complex is the Palmyra Post Office and Blood's Grocery which opened in 1857. Originally located north of the highway on the Santa Fe Trail, it served travelers on the trail and the pioneer community of Palmyra, the original townsite later to become Baldwin City.

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Douglas State Lake

The Douglas State Fishing Lake is located two miles northeast of Baldwin just off County Road 1055. The surface area of the lake is 200 acres with approximately 600 acres surrounding the lake.

FISHING

Baldwin City, KS Recreation

Case Hall

Case Hall is Baker University's first library building. Completed in 1907 with a grant from the Carnegie Foundation it is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its innovated construction for the time.

It was designed by Baker'

Baldwin City, KS National Register

The Midland Historic Railroad

The Midland Historic Railroad began operation August 8, 1987 with a restored diesel engine, a 1923 Rock Island commuter coach and a 1950

Baldwin City, KS Railroad History

Things to do Pioneer Life near Baldwin City, KS

Old Schoolhouse/Residence

Lyndon's first school was located in the home on Madison Street shortly after Lyndon was founded in 1870. The house continued...