This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.
The monument was dedicated in 1893 and was originally located where the 26th Cavalry Monument now stands. Along with the Ogden Monument, it was relocated in 1923 to places of greater visibility along the main highway through post (Huebner Road), then known as the Golden Belt Highway.
Address: Intersection of Sheridan Avenue and Huebner Road
Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas