LASR.net Homepage




Menu


First Presbyterian Church


category : Historic Churches
First Presbyterian Church The First Presbyterian Church occupies a corner lot in one of Claremore's oldest residential areas. The congregation of the First Presbyterian Church of Claremore was organized in 1887 and services were held in homes until the Gothic Revival style building was constructed in 1902, 5 years before statehood.

In the 1950's and 1960's, three changes were made. The original gothic tracery windows were replaced with stained glass windows, a 40' x 40' social and educational wing was added to the southeast side of the structure and a bell tower was placed atop the stone tower. In spite of the additions, it is one of the oldest religious structures in northeastern Oklahoma that has retained its original appearance.


Address: Northeast corner of 4th & Chickasaw

Come visit us in Claremore, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Rogers State University

When Oklahoma was granted statehood, the first legislature established Eastern University Preparatory School, which opened on College Hill in Claremore in 1909

Claremore, OK Colleges

J. M. Davis Arms & Historic Museum

The Davis Arms Museum contains the world's largest collection of guns with over 20,000 on display. It is also the home for a large collection of John Rogers statuaries, a stein collection, swords, saddles, Indian artifacts,

Claremore, OK Museums

Claremore Lake

Claremore Lake features 500 surface acres for boating and great bass fishing (no swimming allowed). There are 2 boat ramps, courtesy dock and 3 fishing piers, 1 for senior citizens and disabled children, 2 for general public use. Enhancing the lake is a 60

Claremore, OK Recreation

Rogers County Courthouse

The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.

Claremore, OK Historic Courthouses

Things to do Historic Churches near Claremore, OK